nafex - [nafex] Re: No subject was specified.

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: No subject was specified.
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:18:19 -0000

Bear Creek is out of business, R.I.P. I liked them too.

I attempted bridge grafting one of my trees this fall that was
damaged by a deer, but I found it frustrating and none of
my "bridges" took. Frustrating as I found after I attached one end
and then tried to attach the other that the first attachment would
twist and move - obviously I was doing something wrong.

I have seen an older orchard where the bridges did take.

You might try wrapping the girdled area in saran wrap (this was
suggested to me for my damage -- I don't know the success rate yet).

It was suggested to me that the best thing might be to encourage
growth from below the damage -- frustrating, I know.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., Jim Donovan <jdon@p...> wrote:
> Went out to discover that rabbits had girdles 15-20 apples trees. 2
> feet of snow took them to a level above the guards. Most were 2-5
years
> old. I've read about bridge grafting. Is it reasonable to try it on
> trees this size. Is that something that could be done here (zone 4)
> now, or wait a while? Any suggestions on references appreciated.
Are
> water sprouts reasonable for this use?
> Also, does anyone know if Bear Creek Nursery still in business?
> haven't gotten a catalog, or response to e-mail. Can anyone
suggest
> other nurseries that deal in heirloom varieties? I am familiar with
> Miller, Cummins,Big Horse, So. Meadow, Christian Homesteading, but
> liked Bear Creek. Thanks,
> Jim Donovan

We give away $70,000 a month! Come to iWin.com for
your chance to win!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/olMXHC/BJVCAA/4ihDAA/VTJVlB/TM