nafex - Re: [nafex] Spring pruning - apple and grape

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Spring pruning - apple and grape
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 15:49:47 -0800

You can remove all but about the top 4 buds, then select the two best shoots
to train horizontally from among those. Don't cut the shoots you are saving
until they are at least 18 inches beyond where the arms will end. If it's
close to the end of summer when they reach that stage, just leave them and
prune them in winter. If they reach that point before mid summer, cut them
off and the buds will push to make shoots that can be pruned back to
fruiting spurs when you do the dormant pruning. Either way, you need to
remove most of the crop the following year - don't leave more than 3 or 4
clusters - or it will reduce the vigor of the vine too much. Canadice is a
heavy producer and you have to limit the crop the first few years or it can
weaken the vine and keep it from hardening it's wood well.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom See new additions to the site, Feb. 2001,
plus word on my grape book.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l3joGB/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/VTJVlB/TM