nafex - [nafex] Re: GA

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: GA
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 20:36:05 -0800

I have no specific information on this, but it makes sense that if one fungi
(the rice disease) makes GA, it's unlikely that it is the only one that
makes it. Certainly, it seems logical that mycorrhizal fungi might be able
make GA-like compounds, since it would help stimulate the growth of the host
plant, but apparently in a controlled way that is beneficial to it. It
might also explain why some plants require mycorrhizal fungi to grow - they
may have lost their own ability to produce sufficient GA and need the fungi
to supplement it.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom See new additions to the site, Feb. 2001,
plus word on my grape book.

--------------

This is starting to make sense...

I have started chasing on the internet,  the link between some mycorrhizal
fungi's production of gibberellin-like compounds (gibberellic acid, a growth
enhancer), and how they affect plant growth.  So if I am reading into this
properly, some strains of  mycorrhizal fungi produce compunds that are
similar to plant growth hormones (I bet Lon covered this and I missed it).

Now I need to find an online thesis that explains the "gibberellic acid-like
compounds" produced by mycorrhiza fungi.

Do you have any specific knowledge Lon?  I will let you know what I find.

Regards,
Tom

"Lon J. Rombough" wrote:
Gibberellic Acid (GA) is a plant growth hormone that causes elongation of
shoots, and reduces or eliminates dormancy in seeds.  It is also the same
hormone used to increase set and berry size in seedless grapes.  GA is also
sold as "tomato set" as it will make tomatoes set, usually with very few
seeds in the fruits.  It was first isolated from a fungus that causes "crazy
rice" disease in which rice plants get excessively elongated stems, making
the plant fall over.
    GA will reduce or eliminate dormancy in many species of seeds.  Peach
seedlings that have not had enough chilling will be very short with rosetted
leaves, but when treated with GA, they grow normally.  It has been used to
reduce or eliminate dormancy in Rubus (raspberry and blackberry) seeds, and
many other plants.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l3joGB/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/VTJVlB/TM