nafex - Re: [nafex] Gibberellin (GA)

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Gibberellin (GA)
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 20:37:31 -0500

Hi,

This is starting to make sense...

I have started chasing on the internet,  the link between some mycorrhizal fungi's production of gibberellin-like compounds (gibberellic acid, a growth enhancer), and how they affect plant growth.  So if I am reading into this properly, some strains of  mycorrhizal fungi produce compunds that are similar to plant growth hormones (I bet Lon covered this and I missed it).

Now I need to find an online thesis that explains the "gibberellic acid-like compounds" produced by mycorrhiza fungi.

Do you have any specific knowledge Lon?  I will let you know what I find.

Regards,
Tom

"Lon J. Rombough" wrote:

Gibberellic Acid (GA) is a plant growth hormone that causes elongation of shoots, and reduces or eliminates dormancy in seeds.  It is also the same hormone used to increase set and berry size in seedless grapes.  GA is also sold as "tomato set" as it will make tomatoes set, usually with very few seeds in the fruits.  It was first isolated from a fungus that causes "crazy rice" disease in which rice plants get excessively elongated stems, making the plant fall over.
    GA will reduce or eliminate dormancy in many species of seeds.  Peach seedlings that have not had enough chilling will be very short with rosetted leaves, but when treated with GA, they grow normally.  It has been used to reduce or eliminate dormancy in Rubus (raspberry and blackberry) seeds, and many other plants.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom  See new additions to the site, Feb. 2001, plus word on my grape book.