nafex - [nafex] Re: Lostman Lost

  • From: mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Lostman Lost
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:27:06 -0000

>3. I second and third the motions about keeping large plantings away
>from property lines. Planting along the fenceline, with branches
>hanging over adjoining property, is inconsiderate and borders on
>arrogance. Debby's neighbor has been considerate in using only a
>chainsaw on her mulberry. I probably would have applied a
>sprayerload
>of glyphosate some time ago, since it is really her responsibility to
>prune the branches that hang over his property. He might want to
>grow
>something along the fence too.
In most states a property owner has the right to cut off any branches
that hang over onto his property, but only up to the property line.
Interestingly enough, if the tree is a fruiting type, the fruit still
belongs to the tree-owner (I believe drops are in somewhat of a legal
limbo.) Ideally, the property owners will discuss any offending
limbs or trees and trim appropriately. If the property-owner kills
the tree, he can be liable for the value of the tree.

I am planting along my property line, I discussed it w/ the prior
owner and have discussed it with the current owner, and planted all
dwarf rootstock and kept the trees approx 10 ft from the property
boundary.

> Keeping trees away from power lines is just common
>sense, and the power companies "butcher" them so that we don't get
>electrocuted. The best solution is buried power lines, but then you
>have to be careful where and how deep you dig.
The pruning that companies do around wires varies widely (at least in
PA) In some areas the trees are pruned to be kept away from the
wires, but are allowed to grow up on either side. In other areas the
trees are just sheared off. Personally I think this causes bigger
problems in the long run as the tree is going to throw up sucker
grown that will be weakly attached, that will be more likely to fall
on the power lines (Hey maybe this is a scam by the tree-trimmers to
guarantee themselves more work!)

Ideally no one would plant a tree that will grow up into power lines,
but it still happens. I have worked two places that had parking lots
under high-tension line lines. Both had trees planted in the parking
lot. In the first one, they were all small, dwarf growing trees. In
the second (and much newer) the parking lot also had trees - Maples.
Guess the landscaper (or the building occupant) figured they would be
long gone before it became an issue.

>Don't care much for the blacks though.
Like both, prefer the blacks(even though seedier and smaller). The
flavor is slightly stronger. (And a mixture of blacks and reds makes
a wine reminiscent of Chaumborg[sp?])

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., Don Yellman <dyellman@e...> wrote:
> Dear Lostman:
> 1. I am afraid that if all that stuff you have in your landscaping
plan
> grows up to maturity you will really be lost --- in the thicket of
all
> the twigs and branches. I think if you reduced plantings by about
50%
> it might be about right, although there could still be a little
> crowding. Almost all fruit crops appreciate full sun, and there is
> minimum number of hours required to ripen fruits and ensure sturdy,
> healty growth. Plantings that are stuffed together look awful and
> perform worse. Orientation to the sun is important. On a small
lot,
> larger plantings should go toward the North and West sides, and
planting
> even small fruit trees close to foundations is not productive if
the sun
> will be cut off at least half the day. Unless you are going to use
> system like espalier, trees like to be pruned and shaped for maximum
> beauty and productivity. The most common error of beginners is to
plant
> things too close together, and to discount the importance of light.
> 2. I can't argue your choices of a lot of unusual edibles, but
bear in
> mind that the word edible covers a lot of ground. As a Nafexer, I
> support the theories of experimentation, especially when there is
lots
> of room to try new things. But if you have limited space and want
> something really good to eat fresh, or to put in the freezer, it is
> pretty hard to beat the more traditional fruits like blueberries,
> peaches, and cherries, and brambles like blackberries and
raspberries.
> I know you can make jams and jellies from things like quince,
medlar,
> highbush cranberry, goosberries, currants and all the rest, but why
> would you if you have raspberries, or a good Concord grapevine?
Besides,
> there is a limit to the amount of jams and jellies you can eat, or
even
> give away, and I think we have found it here. That in spite of the
fact
> that we make low-sugar preserves using Pomona's pectin, and they are
> really fruity. In your location I would probably focus heavily on
> rabbiteye blueberries. Wish I could grow them here. Ah, the pies
that
> can be made from blueberries. Having eaten fresh fruits in many
> different parts of the world, I would have to say that the peach is
> still in first place. Mangoes would probably come in second.
> 3. I second and third the motions about keeping large plantings
away
> from property lines. Planting along the fenceline, with branches
> hanging over adjoining property, is inconsiderate and borders on
> arrogance. Debby's neighbor has been considerate in using only a
> chainsaw on her mulberry. I probably would have applied a
sprayerload
> of glyphosate some time ago, since it is really her responsibility
> prune the branches that hang over his property. He might want to
grow
> something along the fence too. When we moved here, there were
quite a
> few wild mulberries around, and the birds carried the seeds
everywhere.
> I spent many hours grubbing up their evil yellow roots before I
finally
> got them eradicated. Keeping trees away from power lines is just
common
> sense, and the power companies "butcher" them so that we don't get
> electrocuted. The best solution is buried power lines, but then you
> have to be careful where and how deep you dig.
> 4. Finally, with respect to Lon R.'s new Coho red raspberry, and
Tom
> O.'s concern about flavor, I must say I have never met a red
raspberry I
> didn't like, although I will grant that there are subtle
differences in
> flavor. Last year I planted a new red called Baba on the
recommendation
> of PNW Nafexers. It produced heavily the first year and it is
superb.
> Don't care much for the blacks though.
>
> Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups