nafex - Re: [nafex] FW: New Red Raspberry Means More Fresh Berries

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] FW: New Red Raspberry Means More Fresh Berries
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:28:42 -0800

The other thing is that so many commercial berries don't have to have
sweetness, as long as they more or less taste like a raspberry - the
processors add sweeteners and can even add flavor enhancers. How you GROW
your raspberries makes a difference, too. I've tasted well-raised organic
raspberries, grown with lots of mulch and organic matter in the soil, that
had great flavor. The same variety raised with chemical fertilizer and
standard methods tasted like raspberries, but that was as much as you could
say for them. The best ones I EVER saw had regular applications of several
inches of horse bedding to the soil - the ground was actually springy when
you walked through the patch - and the plants were over 8 feet tall.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom See new additions to the site, Feb. 2001,
plus word on my grape book.

----------
>From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
>To: NAFEX List <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: Re: [nafex] FW: New Red Raspberry Means More Fresh Berries
>Date: Tue, Feb 20, 2001, 9:12 AM
>

>Hi,
>
>I noticed this right away in reading the description on the new longer
>season raspberry:
>
>"Coho gives high yields of bright-red, very firm berries. It is named
>after a red-skinned salmon commonly found in the Pacific Northwest. It is the
>second red raspberry released by ARS berry breeders for the summer
>fresh-fruit market. The first, Lewis, was released in 1999. Coho was
>developed by crossing Lewis with other breeding lines."
>
>What I noticed was something that I was just discussing privately via
>email with another NAFEX'r... This new variety description talks about
>yield, color and texture, and not a single word about TASTE. Is taste
>primary or secondary to these qualities? Guess that depends if you are a
>commercial grower or not.
>
>I realize that like it not, this raspberry will end up in the grocery
>store, and end up "dumbing down" a whole new generation as to what a good
>raspberry is supposed to taste like, but I want to make the comment
>anyway.
>
>Thank goodness for NAFEX and all the older variety fruit collecitons, of
>less marketable, better tasting fruit out there, because of their
>good work.
>
>All the best. I will step off my soap box now.
>
>Regards,
>Tom
>

>--
>Thomas Olenio