nafex - Re: [nafex] Plum Bloom Dates & Pest Resistance

  • From: Ed & Pat Fackler <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Plum Bloom Dates & Pest Resistance
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 06:12:46 -0500

Mark:

Of the several we grew here, in most years, they all bloomed in the
relative time frame, some 3-5 days after pure salicina (Japanese) types and
some 4-8 days prior to most domestica.
None are resistance to "insects" esp. curculio.
My preference of this group was as follows:
1. Toka----Excellent flavor, very small size, thorny habit, very
productive.
2. Alderman---Good flavor, large fruit size, throny (but less than
Toka) and productive.
3. Pipestone--Same general description as Alderman, but different
flaor.
4. Waneta--Good flavor, size and appearance. Easily managed tree
form.

Hope this helps.

Ed. So. Indiana, heaven

mblossom1@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Which of the asian/american hybrid plums are the latest to bloom?
>
> (We reliably get late spring frosts in our Ozark river valley land.)
>
> Which are most resistant to insects and diseases?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mark Blossom

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details