nafex - Re: [nafex] ribes

  • From: Sam Brungardt <samb@pop.isd.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com, pinewoodel@hotmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] ribes
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 07:02:03 -0600

Del, currants and gooseberries will thrive in the Bemidji area
without doubt. Important thing is to get WPBR-resistant cultivars.
For black currant that would be Titania, one of the 3 resistant
Canadian cultivars (probably less productive and not as high
quality--Consort, Crusader and Coronet), or Minaj Smirnou
(spelling?). Viking is a red currant resistant to WPBR. Generally,
cultivated gooseberries are thought to pose less of a WPBR threat
(I'll try to get you some data on this.)

Finally, you mentioned that white pine were about impossible to grow
due to deer predation. There's a very simple paper collar that can
be put on the growing point(s) of young white pine that is supposed
to reduce browsing considerably. Call you local DNR office for
particulars; they have a fact sheet on this in their forestland
owners manual.--Sam, St. Paul, Minn.