nafex - Re: [nafex] Potted Meyers Lemon

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Potted Meyers Lemon
  • Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 23:01:03 -0500

That might work. I have a rose that I want to take out this spring, and
if I dig just a little deeper, I could have a lemon instead.

Do you suppose it would object the shredded oak leaves? I happen to
have a lot of them left over from last fall. If you think that's too
acid, I may still have some cocoa shell mulch that I bought for my
husband (because it smells nice) last year.

Ginda

Tom Olenio wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Why not bury the pot outside after danger of frost is past, mulch it well,
> and cage it like you would any small fruit tree.
>
> In the fall, dig up the pot, wash the pot off, and bring it back inside.
>
> It may drop leaves anyway, as citrus can be sensitive to changes.
>
> Works for my amaryllis.
>
> Regards,
> Tom
>
> Ginda Fisher wrote:
>
> > My potted lemon has finished ripening its first crop. I realize how few
> > lemons we use! It had five or six mature fruits. We picked the first
> > one around Thanksgiving, slightly under ripe. There are still 2 left.
> > They've gotten quite loose in their skins, and smell lovely. It has
> > started its next growth cycle, with lots of emerging new vegetation and
> > a small crop of buds. Nothing smells nicer that a blooming lemon tree!
> >
> > I am thinking of moving it outdoors this summer, as it pretty much goes
> > dormant inside once the oaks leaf out (and block its light.) The two
> > problems I've had with that in the past are squirrels "harvesting" all
> > the immature fruits (they bury them) and the plant drying up and losing
> > all its leaves. I think I can thwart the squirrels with bird netting.
> > I'm sure I can't remember to water it as often as it needs in full sun.
> > Someone said that losing all its leaves was a normal response to the
> > change in humidity, but I think it must be more than that, as last time
> > it happened the tree was set back by months. (We nearly threw it out,
> > thinking it was dead.)
> >
> > Has anyone tried potting these in those "self watering" pots that are
> > sold for tomatoes and flowers? Did it work? Also, it is currently
> > staked. I plan to repot it this spring, and wonder if I ought to
> > restake it or just leave it alone.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ginda Fisher
> > eastern Massachusetts, zone 6