nafex - Re: [nafex] Mulching acid loving plants

  • From: PermacultureNo1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Mulching acid loving plants
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:02:00 EST

Yes, Mollison agrees with you on this one.
DH
In a message dated 01/27/01 1:29:27 PM, jhecksel@voyager.net writes:

<< Hello all:

And you thought we were done with this thread 8-)

I had a passing thought regarding the mulching of acid loving plants.
Much ink is spilled over the availability of various elements as a
function of pH. There is a fairly narrow band of pH that has decent
solubility for most micro-nutrients and phosphorous. The implicit
assumption is that the entire rootzone (rootball?) will be homogenous
with regard to pH. I think this is both simplistic and undesirable.
Having a rootball stratified with respect to pH virtually guarentees
that ALL elements will be highly available to the plant somewhere in the
rootball.

OK, back to our regularly scheduled programs.

-Joe Hecksel
Eaton Rapids, Michigan >>

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details