nafex - Re: [nafex] Black Currant Pollination

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Black Currant Pollination
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:35:11 -0800

Crandal is not the same as the European black currant and doesn't need a
pollinator. Even the European types will set without a second variety, most
of the time, but a very few need a second type. You're covered Tom.
-Lon Rombough
----------
>From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] Black Currant Pollination
>Date: Thu, Jan 25, 2001, 4:05 PM
>

>Hello,
>
>I just read in Corn Hill's nursery catalog that black currants require two
>black
>currant varieties to cross pollenate, while red currants are self-fertile.
>
>I only have one variety of black currant in my planting (Crandal, 5 bushes)
>and
>wonder if I need to add an alternate black currant variety.
>
>Can a currant expert help me out?
>
>I do have a couple of jostaberry and wonder if they will pollenate black
>currants.
>
>Regards,
>Tom
>--
>Thomas Olenio
>Ontario, Canada
>Hardiness Zone 6a

  • Re: [nafex] Black Currant Pollination, Lon J. Rombough, 01/25/2001