nafex - [nafex] Herb Durand

  • From: "Dr. Ethan Natelson" <natelson@pipeline.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Herb Durand
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 21:40:35 -0500 (EST)

Dear Group,

Some of you may remember Herb Durand, who was a world class plant
hybridizer and made major contributions to the breeding of rabbiteye
blueberry selections. He was a contributor to Pomona, the last article
several years ago concerning some unusual Prunus crosses he made. He spoke
at our annual NAFEX meeting in Houston a few years ago. Herb (known to his
family as Kyle) was very shy and reclusive and, perhaps for this reason, his
remarkable talents were never fully realized. I am sad to report that Herb
was hit by a car while crossing the street to his voting precinct on Nov 7,
and remains in a chronic vegetative state, in a Houston hospital. I spoke
with his brother earlier in the week and I think Herb will soon be
wharehoused in a nursing home for the living dead. Life is often not very
fair.

Regards, Ethan

  • [nafex] Herb Durand, Dr. Ethan Natelson, 01/18/2001