nafex - [nafex] Cheating nurseries

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Cheating nurseries
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:10:07 -0800

I just got a catalog from Van Bourgondien bulb company and was puzzled at
their offering of a "Vernon" grape. All that was indicated was that it was
a blue seedless. They are based in NY and I contacted a friend there, who
turned out to be their supplier. Seems they buy any blue seedless he has -
Glenora, Venus, Concord Seedless, and package it as "Vernon". So if
you've ever bought a prepackaged "Vernon" grape from a store, with the Van
Bourgondien lable, that's what you actually got.
And no, I don't think much of this practice.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

  • [nafex] Cheating nurseries, Lon J. Rombough, 01/18/2001