nafex - [nafex] Jujube seed

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Jujube seed
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:13:53 -0800

A Middle Eastern grocer I sometimes visit had a few packages of "Red Dates"
that were the biggest,
solidest jujubes I've ever seen. What interested me was that the fruit had
some mold on it. That suggested it wasn't cooked in sugar or artificially
dried. I got the packages and the fruits do seem to have been sun dried and
they definitely didn't have sugar added, though they were quite decent in
flavor. Further, when I got some quince seed (the seed is used for
thickening as it gives off lots of pectin when soaked in water) from the
same source, it was viable. So I have reason to think this seed would be
viable, too. Is anyone interested in trying to grow some? There will only
be about three dozen seeds total, though. There was an article in POMONA a
few years back on how to germinate them. They have twin embryoes, so you
get two seedlings per seed.
-Lon