nafex - Re: [nafex] Re:(nafex) Blue Understory

  • From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re:(nafex) Blue Understory
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 01 11:22:46 -0700

>A mention of English Ivy, Tree of Heaven, and other unwanteds reminds me
>of Scots/Scotch Broom in New Zealand. I was there year before last. I
>didn't see the fruit trees mentioned lately but did see thousands of
>sheep (couldn't count them, kept going asleep) and hectares upon
>hectares of beautiful hills covered with Scotch Broom. Another mistake
>made by man of mis-locating a plant. Doc
And mixed with the broom on the N, end of South Island, NZ, Rubus procera
blackberry, gorse (Ulex europeaus) Wine berry (Rubus phoenicolaseus (sp?) and
Pheasant Berry. Taller than you can climb over, to thick to go thru or under.
But heck, I've got 6 acres of broom and blackberry here in Oregon! I've lost
several good friends in that thicket! Nonetheless, I don't hate broom; I use
it, and it is a key species in my plans for this land- it is one of my
premier allies.
But if you check the list of invasive wetland plants in the Willamette
Valley, you'll find Pear listed. Pear INVADES native wet grassland and
Changes the Community, Disrupts the Succession! We are talking about a place
with a greater number of endemic species than Western Europe, a botanical
marvel! Have we mis-located pear too? It's a major orchard crop here....

Rick Valley Northern Groves
PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370
Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)456-4364 Bamboo catalog $3 or at
<http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design &
consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"

  • Re: [nafex] Re:(nafex) Blue Understory, rick valley, 01/12/2001