nafex - Re: [nafex] Copyrights, online or pirate

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Copyrights, online or pirate
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:38:40 -0600

I second Claude's suggestion to consult with the experts at the GWAA site.
They have an attorney on retainer--John Hazard--who helps with such
problems. BTW, my attorney tells me that as of 1996, a copyright symbol or
mention does not have to be attached to a document for it still to be
copyrighted. The laws have become more in tune with what is happening on
the Internet. So....as a matter of form, always assume information is
copyrighted and ask permission. You'd be surprised how many authors,
educational institutions and trade organizations will be delighted to let
you reproduce their work for free, IF you attribute it to them. It's only
fair. My 2 cents worth.
Doreen Howard
In blizzard-bound Wisconsin under a foot of snow