nafex - [nafex] Atlantic Queen Pear

  • From: Bob Hartman <hartmansfruittrees@wport.com>
  • To: Nafex <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Atlantic Queen Pear
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 19:49:45 -0800

I am writing on behalf of a friend. He has an Atlantic Queen pear tree
on Quince C. This is in the maritime climate of the Pacific Northwest,
western Washington to be exact. When the tree was five years old (this
year) it had its first crop of pears, about a dozen or so. They were
beautiful, large, pyriform pears. They were picked on September 25,
lenticels green turning brown. He put them in cold storage at 32-33
degrees and 95% humidity. He said that they turned green to yellow in
mid November. He placed one put them a few at a time on the counter for
several days until they were ready to eat. There was no internal
breakdown, white flesh, moderately juicy, sweet, but a distinct
astringent taste. He said they were all that way. The question is:
What is the cause of the astringent taste? Is it because it is such a
young tree, a result of the rootstock, or maybe the season, or has
anyone else had this experience with the Atlantic Queen?

I have had the Atlantic Queen fruit for me with no astringent taste
(different rootstock). I did not use cold storage - just brought them
in to ripen. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Hartman

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/423498/_/977111424/