nafex - Re: [nafex] Reine des pommes / Granny Smith apples

  • From: "H. Dessureault" <inter.verbis@atreide.net>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Reine des pommes / Granny Smith apples
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 05:37:41 -0500

Bonjour Claude,
Dans la Gatineau, 50 km au nord de Hull.
I don't have information on Reine des pommes, but I have the
variety, purchased at île Perrot, about ten years ago.
The unknown rootstock it came on was not vigourous enough for my climate. The tree was not dying back, which indicates I think that the variety was somewhat hardy, but there was not much growth.

As it often happens in case of weak growth, Reine des pommes  became a target for predators (little voracious green worms, species being also found on gooseberry leaves and another type which is wrapped in new leaves and deposit as an egg by a nocturnal moth) and also developed a black fungus on the bark.
Last year, I grafted some wood on M111. Three grafts took and I transplanted the new trees in a permanent location last Fall (1999).
So I have three small 2 year old Reine des pommes, which are now growing nicely, it seems. The bark  appears healthier. By next year, I would be able to remove some grafting material.
Are Reine des pommes brown, russett like, are they strictly cider?
Where do you find your information on this variety?

I also have a Bramley.
In the Tsolum River Fruit Trees catalogue, that is located on Vancouver Island, there is a :
Bramley Seedling, Nottinghamshire, 1805, large greenish yellow, red flush and stripes. Firm, juicy, acid, high in Vitamine C, Famous cooking apple. Stores Oct. to April. Scab resistant, Tip bearer, Triploid.
My Bramley is supposed to be : Bramley, England, 1810, very large green apple, excellent for pies and cider, vigorous, heavy bearer, blooms late, survive frost, resistant to scab and mildew, triploid.
Close, isn't?

Some visitors from England told me that Bramley is still a popular apple in England today and even gave me a recipe for Baked Bramleys!!!

The above and also the fact that Granny Smith is mainly produced in New Zealand,  made me wonder about a possible link between the two. I didn't know Granny Smith was an old variety.

Glad to hear from people close by interested in apples?

H. Dessureault