nafex - Re: [nafex] membership rosters and privacy

  • From: Fluffy Bunny <the.fluffy.bunny@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] membership rosters and privacy
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 01:48:00 -0600

Nell wrote:

> I have to disagree with the fluffy privacy advocate a bit.  Membership
> rosters are very handy items for an enthusiasts' group, and a nice
> membership benefit.  It's perfectly possible to publish a roster *and
> respect the desire of members for privacy.
>
> The American Hemerocallis Society (daylily people), has almost ten
thousand
> members.  They publish a roster every two years.  On the membership
renewal
> form, there's a checkbox to mark if you want to be left out of the
roster.

> Likewise, members can ask that their names not be included when mailing
> labels are sold -- though in practice, the labels are sold only to
daylily
> growers and daylily-related businesses, most of whom are members of the
AHS
> to begin with.

My reply:

I agree that it is possible, and I have absolutely no disagreements with
the method the American Hemerocallis Society utilizes. It seems to me to
be an excellent solution to a problem and one I would recommend. However
NAFEX has no such solution. There was a discussion of a possible "opt
out feature", but discussions is not the same as action or the same as
drafting an official policy statement.

Nell, I sincerely hope that NAFEX will adopt the same reasonable policy
that the American Hemerocallis Society has adopted as its standard. I
appreciate you bringing this possible solution to everyone's attention.

Wishing all of you the best,

the fluffy bunny

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.