nafex - Re: [nafex] Prunus mahaleb Pontaleb

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Prunus mahaleb Pontaleb
  • Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 01:19:06 -0500

Actually, Tom's translation was probably a computer's translation - quite
poor in fact. As far as the word "sein" is concerned, it effectively means
the woman's breast. However, this word can be used in other contexts - in
the phrase in question, it means that it was selected from a population of
P.mahaleb. A "carries-graft" and a "door-middle" are 2 different
translations for the french "porte-greffe" which in fact means rootstock.
In our case, it is a medium vigor rootstock. It is also said that the Ferci
is reproduced from seed with very good homogeneity. Nothing is said about
hardiness. In fact, I have almost never seen hardiness data in French
documentation. The concept of hardiness zone is not used over there,
probably because there is much less climatic variation than in North America.

Claude

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/973664483/