nafex - Re: [nafex] Doughnut peach

  • From: "J. Rosano II" <GIANNI-2@prodigy.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Doughnut peach
  • Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 19:53:51 -0500

Thanks Donna....
Guess the next logical question might be.
Has anyone one in the greater NAFEX community had any success with Doughnut in
Zone 5 or 6?
Funny though, speaking of your volunteer peach, Gianni's miracle blooms in
March
and has froze and still, like a trooper every year, still fruits? I can't
figure
it out. Could not a seakelp or seaweed spray if used upon the point of
flowering
be used to guard against freezing flowers as seakelp/weed builds plant tissue
and traps moisture within cells. I used some this year on grapes and citrus
with
some success for trials.
Wonder what kind of doughnut productivity I might have, grafting doughnuts on
miracles???? The chill hours would still be the same, no? Possibly any mixing
characteristics from both a possibility?
Anyone????

Best wishes,
Gianni
Kieran or Donna wrote:

> Gianni,
> Maybe the reason we don't hear about the doughnut peach has something to
> do with chilling hours. Did someone say they crop in Mississippi? Didn't
> Dave Ulmer say something about 400 chilling hours? 400 chilling hours in
> Tenn translates to blooming about the end of January. I've got a seedling
> peach right now, a volunteer apparently from some grocery peach from further
> south. It blooms about 2 weeks before my local seedlings, and has zero hope
> of cropping. Which reminds me. It's a monster, having popped up in the
> garden about 5 years ago, and I'm thinking about whacking it back and
> putting both my European plums on it. Can I bark graft them? It's WAY too
> big to think about budding on it. What do you think? My first grafts ever
> were bark grafts of plum on plum, and I got 1 out of 2. Donna TN z6
> P.S. If we don't start having some winter here pretty soon, maybe 400
> chilling hour peaches will be the way to go.

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/973385813/