nafex - Re: [nafex] Seedling tree

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Seedling tree
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 17:40:38 -0700

Title: Re: [nafex] Seedling tree
The pome group that really gets promiscuous is Crataegus.  I have, or know of, Crataegus x Sorbus, Crataegus x Mespilus,  Crataegus x Mespilus x Sorbus, and there are probably more.   Pyronia is used as a virus indicator at the NCGR in Corvallis, but while it bears fruit, it is so late it never ripens.  The "Shipova" is a joke - the only place I've ever seen it bear fruit here is at the NCGR where it was surrounded by all sorts of pears, etc.  that pollinated it.  No one I've talked to who has a tree of it in an ordinary yard has been able to get any sort of crop.
Certainly there could be some apple x pear hybrids out there somewhere with good fruit.  Pears will graft on Winter Banana apple and the Russians often use a technique of grafting one species on another to make it easier to cross the two.  Maybe that would be the way to make apple-pear hybrids more readily possible.  NAFEX is certainly the gang to play with it.