nafex - RE: [nafex] Seed Variation - Apples

  • From: "Bell, Richard" <rbell@afrs.ars.usda.gov>
  • To: "'nafex@egroups.com'" <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: RE: [nafex] Seed Variation - Apples
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:52:15 -0400

Apples (and all pome fruit) are generally self-incompatible; that is,
self-pollination will not usually result in viable seed. Any viable seed
must result from out-crossing, which would result in hybrid seed, with equal
genetic contributions from both parents, and, thus, would not breed true.
That could only occur if a plant were homozygous (completely inbred) and was
self-compatible. See Jim Cummins's comment also. There are a couple of
crab apple species that are apomictic, that is, seed develops from maternal
tissue (not the "egg"), and are, therefore genetically identical to the
mother tree.

RLBell

No bidding, no
guesswork. Just
great fares at Hotwire.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9750/15/_/423498/_/971704452/

  • RE: [nafex] Seed Variation - Apples, Bell, Richard, 10/16/2000