nafex - Re: [nafex] Rex begonia

  • From: Fluffy Bunny <the.fluffy.bunny@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Rex begonia
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 23:16:26 -0500

Joel wrote:

My first grader is doing a seed propagation project.
Please comment on how to improve the plant growing.

My reply:

I'll comment but please note my experience is limited to the passive
solar greenhouse I had. In other words defer to any advice you get from
a commercial grower as opposed to my experimental/amateur experience.

Joel wrote:

Seed planted end of August (7 weeks)
Soil is sterilized soil / humus
Day temp 75-80F
Night temp 60-75F
Aux lights 13 hours (florescent 25W high output=100W
incandescent)
Fertilize @ Parks recommended dose of all purpose fertilizer
At this point we have about half of the plants growing but
only about 40 out of 120 planted seem to be good quality.

My reply:

I would like to see the daytime night time differential around 20-25
degrees, and try dipping the temperature toward 50 at night and 75 to 78
during the day...this should help control the fungus problems some,
secondly the seedling stress it causes should ultimately strengthen the
plants(not all stress is bad).

Also increase the light to 16-18 hours.

Joel wrote:

For a few days we removed the dome and found that many of
the leafs drooped.
After replacing the dome the plants are coming back

My reply:

Raise the dome and put a gentle fan across the plants, the exhaust from a
PC is good for this, you can also dilute the flow form a household fan by
covering the front with linen. This should thicken the plants some so
they do not get leggy and help control the fungal problems. I suspect
the plant drooping is caused by the change in humidity and temperature
change...not a whole lot can be done, except weed out the weak ones and
let nature take its course. In the future I would recommend getting the
cover off and the fan on them after they sprout...you have to watch the
soil moisture this way but it really does much to produce short stocky
plants and controls fungus and molds.

Wishing you every success in your endeavor...

the fluffy bunny

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Tellme Sports. Tellme Stocks. Tellme News. Just Tellme.
Call 1-800-555-TELL and hear everything. For info visit:
http://click.egroups.com/1/9529/15/_/423498/_/971583281/