nafex - Re: [nafex] Non-apple inquiry

  • From: fluffy bunny <the.fluffy.bunny@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Non-apple inquiry
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:29:29 -0400

It was queried:

Greetings all! We are thinking of planting approximately 200 each of
zone 5
hardy blueberries (half high), lingonberries, jostaberries, raspberries
and
blackberries. Not only must they be able to withstand our wild
fluctuating
winters, but we are looking for good tasting fruit (subjective I
realize).
Any suggestions on varieties and nurseries (Canadian preferred)?

My reply:

Four things immediately leap to my mind:

1) Is this a commercial endeavor?
2) If so how do you intend to market the product?
3) How much snow cover to you get and at what time of year, and how
reliable is it.
4) What is the intended use of the product(fresh eating, juice, canning,
jellies, freezing)?

My personal opinion is until the above questions are answered varietal
discussions are without context and therefore have little direct merit.

Very truly yours,

the fluffy bunny
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.