nafex - Re: [nafex] Dr. Parmar

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Dr. Parmar
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 19:07:52 -0400

Bruce & Joyce wrote:
Dr. Parmar,
<snip>  I have been lead to believe there is little risk from importing seeds. I would be
interested in further comments <snip>
Hi,

Here is a quote regarding a single disease... Plum Pox;

"Members of the genus Potyvirus have virions which are
flexuous filaments with no envelopes, are aphid-transmitted
in a non-persistent, stylet-borne manner, mechanically
transmitted, and may or may not be seed-transmitted"

http://www.scisoc.org/feature/PlumPox/Top.html

This disease alone can desimate an orchard, there must be hundreds of known plant diseases carried through seed.

I am sure our resident experts will have more to say, but seeds may carry some diseases, just as well as mature plants.

Being in a largely argricultural area, and having family members running farms, I would think twice and thrice before bringing in anythng for fear of plant disease.

Checking with local authorities is a good idea before bringing in anything from anywhere, that is not native, or certified/approved for your area.

Just my opinion and most likely the law in most places.

Regards,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio