nafex - Re: [nafex] Mount Royal Plum/Yakima Plum for cold climates

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Mount Royal Plum/Yakima Plum for cold climates
  • Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 08:43:36 -0700

Some years ago a friend from Minnesota came to visit and fell in love with a
large yellow European plum I had. We didn't think it would grow in
Minnesota, so we devised a plant. He had scions of the hardiest plums
around sent to me - Krikonen (same as Krikon), Mt. Royal, Superior, and a
large blue one that I forget the name of. I grafted these all on one tree
with the yellow plum and when they came into bearing, sent him the open
pollinated seed. He reported this year that there have been 15 survivors,
and one is a large yellow plum with an apricot-like flavor. It has taken
-41 with slight tip damage. He also has a large blue plum in the lot that
came out with no damage at all. He feels that the yellow one should be
unique. I withold his name for now so he won't be flooded with contacts.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, more, at http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

----------
>From: john bunker <jbunker@palermo.org>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Mount Royal Plum/Yakima Plum for cold climates
>Date: Tue, Oct 3, 2000, 9:02 AM
>

>Mt Royal can get black knot severely. I've been able to mimimize for
>some years by cutting out infected branches and burning them, but
>eventually here it takes over and destroys the tree.
>
>John Bunker, Palermo Maine, zone 4

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR with NO annual fee!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9335/15/_/423498/_/970587663/