nafex - Re: [nafex] Star Fruit?

  • From: Claude Sweet <sweetent@home.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Star Fruit?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 19:09:47 -0700

Carambola fruit can be either sweet or sour depending on the variety.
The fruit is commercially grown in Florida.

I live in a mild winter area in San Diego where I fruit mango,
cherimoya, macadamia, banana, feijoa, guava, fig, black persimmon,
oriental persimmon, jujube, various citrus, and low chill apples, plums,
etc. Last year my carambola tree produced its first crop of 20 fruit.

Carambola is frequently used as a plate garnish when sliced as a cross
section producing the star shape. It is not my favorite fruit to eat out
of hand or in a fruit salad.

Claude Sweet
San Diego, CA
zone 9