nafex - [nafex] Re: elderberry goo

  • From: Carolyn Wood <natvwine@cut.net>
  • To: nafex chat <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: elderberry goo
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:54:29 -0600

> From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
> Subject: elderberry goo
> Whenever I make wine out of elderberries I get a green goo, almost as
> sticky as >glue, & it deposits on all of the winemaking glasswear & the
> strainer bag.... >Seems like some sort of tannic compound. What is it &
> is there anyway to avoid >producing it, & anyway to get it off short of
> scraping or alcohol..

Mikel, The best way to avoid the goo is to wait until the berries are very
ripe,
and then wait a little more - till some start to drop.
If you are concerned with the healthful aspects of the wine (our elderberry
wine tests for antioxidant status comparable to a French Bordeaux) then you
must
not boil the fruit as Bill Russell suggests. This will remove the goo but
will
also destroy most of the vitamins, anthocyanins and other nutrients.
The best way to remove the goo is to use a caustic cleaner available at
most
homebrew supply shops.

Best of luck, Bob Z4, Utah

http://click.egroups.com/1/7012/0/_/423498/_/966387269/

  • [nafex] Re: elderberry goo, Carolyn Wood, 08/15/2000