nafex - [nafex] Girdling Grape Vines

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Girdling Grape Vines
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 19:46:15 -0400

Lon, can you go into the process of girdling a little more. I would like
to try this on a Loomis Muscadine next year. It has always given oodles
of leaves and even 'tho it is described as having large fruit, I would
judge mine as medium size. I doubt if girdling has been tried on vitis
rotundifolia (muscadine) but I would like to give it a try. Loomis has
excellent taste but if I can get more than one in my mouth at a time, I
don't consider them large.
By the way, for those of you lucky enough to be able to raise them, Fry
out-performs all others here. Triumph bears earliest. Cowart ain't worth
growing except for pollination. You've got to like fermented native
grape juice to call these "wine grapes". Give me Liebfraumilch or
Reisling anyday. Personal preference. But for making yourself sick
eating in the vineyard on a frosty morn, muscadines are a hedonist's
delight.
June Bugs are eating all the figs. In the next life, I'll plant them in
a net tent 'fore they get big as Magnolia trees. Love to all, Doc
Lisenby Zone 7.25 SCar.

http://click.egroups.com/1/7012/0/_/423498/_/965951221/