nafex - [nafex] Squirrel Recipes

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Squirrel Recipes
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 12:22:27 -0500

Seriously, folks, does anyone have a decent recipe for squirrel stew? The
one and only time I ate squirrel stew, it was awful. Two spoonsful were all
I could get down. It was at an Indian Stomp Dance (Chickasaw tribe) in
Ardmore, OK, where the Indians prepared a large cast iron cauldron of the
stew for everyone to sample--along with pashofa (a corn meal gruel) and
grape dumplings (which were outstanding). The stew was greasy, gamy and
tough. Given the access to squirrel I have, an edible stew or even roasted
squirrel recipes would be a way to turn the tree rats into something
positive. And, the recipes would make a great addition to a NAFEX Road
and/or Tree Kill Cookbook. I'll volunteer to put a book together, if you
all will contribute recipes.
Doreen Howard