nafex - Re: [nafex] Foiling the Deer

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Foiling the Deer
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 20:10:31 -0700

For what it's worth, the late Professor Elwyn Meader used the monofilament
around his place for many years and the deer never got around it, he said.
They might break it once or twice in the early part of the season, but that
was by accident. Once fixed, it worked all the growing season.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, more, at http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

----------
>From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] Foiling the Deer
>Date: Sun, Jul 16, 2000, 10:30 PM
>

>Armando:
>
>1. With all the weather problems you have had up there in VT, it really
>does seem that having the deer eat your young trees is insult to injury.
>
>2. We have had a number of discussions on deer over the past year on
>this board. They get my attention, since deer pressures have increased
>geometrically here in Fairfax County, VA, and I have had a lot of things
>ruined. They are in my yard or close by nearly every night now, from
>early spring to winter. Nothing of any consequence is being done to
>control their numbers, because of the squeamishness of local politicians
>and their unwillingness to face down the small groups of animal rights
>protesters and their umbrella groups such as the Fund for Animals, based
>in Washington, D.C.. Apparently, none of these people are gardeners,
>and, I suspect, few of them have much common sense.
>3. I have tried a lot of different measures. Several "critter gitter"
>alarms are scattered around my yard, and a motion detector which alerts
>me in the bedroom. When it souinds, I run out in the yard, regardless
>of the hour, and put pellets into the deer. But this is a temporary
>measure, and what a pain in the neck. Have also tried a number of
>different spray products, as well as wolf and puma scent. The sprays
>provide temporary protection, but wear off quickly with rain, and
>provide no protection as the plants put on new growth.
>4. Two weeks ago I decided to try the method suggested by J.N. Fischer,
>nafexer and one of my near neighbors from Oakton, VA. Jack strings
>monofilament fishing line along posts to protect vulnerable areas of his
>yard. It is his view that deer are spooked by touching something they
>cannot see, and they will seldom try to cross the monofilament barrier.
>5. I drove in a few steel posts, and strung the monofilament around my
>garden --- areas that had been particularly devastated by the deer. I
>have a large patch of gladioulus, and grow climbing blue lake beans
>along a 30 foot fence. The deer had been nipping off all the glads just
>as they began to open, and had left no leaves at all on the climbing
>beans. I felt this was the toughest test I could give the monofilament
>method.
>6. At this juncture, I can report that the deer have not crossed the
>barrier. The glads have resumed budding and blooming, the bean vines
>have put out new leaf growth, and peppers, beets, and strawberry plants
>have been left alone.
>7. I thought that the monofilament would be a nuisance around the
>garden and beds, and really intended it only as a temporary trial. But
>I have decided to accustom myself to ducking under it because it is
>working. It is true that deer will figure out and adapt themselves to
> [...]

http://click.egroups.com/1/7010/0/_/423498/_/963803222/

  • [nafex] Foiling the Deer, Don Yellman, 07/16/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [nafex] Foiling the Deer, Lon J. Rombough, 07/16/2000