nafex - Re: [nafex] Bud Grafting Timing

  • From: jim <jmc1@epix.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Bud Grafting Timing
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 13:36:15 +0000

Generally, Tom, bark will be "slipping" from mid-May through mid-August.
Active shoot growth usually means that bark is slipping, and lack of active
growth almost certainly means that bark is not slipping. At least as
critical as barkslip is the condition of the scionwood. For budding in
July and August, the conventional period, we use buds from current season's
growth. Best quality buds are found on shoots that have terminated
growth; we sometimes encourage that by bending a long shoot to the
horizontal a couple of weeks before we want to bud. An alternative is to
collect dormant budwood in late winter, store it in refrigerator, and then
bud in May or June. I've a son down in Tennessee who has a small orchard,
and he often furnishes budwood for us 2 or 3 weeks before our is "ripe"
here in New York.

Although T-budding is the most widely used method, I think you should learn
chip-budding as well. Chipping permits you somewhat more flexibility in
using large diameter budwood. At least on some variety/rootstock
combinations, we get better feathering with chip budding.

One last remark: get your knife blade sharp enough for shaving.

CUMMINS NURSERY //Jim
Geneva, New York

http://click.egroups.com/1/7010/0/_/423498/_/964891627/