nafex - Re: [nafex] FW: New Plum, Apricot Cross

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] FW: New Plum, Apricot Cross
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 17:07:11 -0400

Lon J Rombough wrote:

> ----------
> From: "ARS News Service" <isnv@ars-grin.gov>
> To: "ARS News List" <ars-news@ars-grin.gov>
> Subject: New Plum, Apricot Cross
> Date: Tue, Jun 13, 2000, 6:32 AM
>
> STORY LEAD:
> New Plum, Apricot Cross Ideal for Southern Growers

> ARS News Service
> Agricultural Research Service, USDA
> Tara Weaver-Missick, (301) 504-1619, tweaver@asrr.arsusda.gov
> June 13, 2000
>
> Agricultural Research Service scientists have developed and released a new
> specialty fruit as luscious as its name. Spring Satin, a cross between a
> plum and apricot, is now available to nurseries.
>
> ARS horticulturist William R. Okie developed the reddish-black-colored
> fruit. Southeastern fruit growers have trouble growing plums and apricots in
> that region's climate. This new cultivar is the first plumcot that is well
> adapted to the medium-high chill areas of the south. Plumcots developed in
> California haven't done well in the south.
>
> Spring Satin produces beautiful white flowers that bloom in mid March. The
> large, high- quality fruit ripen in early May, a time of year when
> high-quality fruit is in limited supply. When fully ripe, these fruits have
> a very good flavor.
>
> The short fuzz plumcot is about two inches in diameter. This vibrant beauty
> has yellow flesh when immature, changing to a yellowish-red when mature.
>
> This unique cross is tolerant to major plum diseases, like bacterial spot
> disease, bacterial canker disease, and plum leaf scald. These diseases make
> commercial production difficult due to the limited life span of the orchard.
>
> Spring Satin trees will be available commercially this winter. Limited
> amounts of budwood are available from Okie, who is with the ARS Southeastern
> Fruit and Tree Nut Research Laboratory in Byron, Ga. Germplasm from this
> release is deposited in the NSRP5/IR-2 Fruit Tree collection at Washington
> State University, Prosser, Wa.
>
> Consumers will have to wait to try Spring Satin; the trees take about three
> years to start producing fruit for large-scale distribution.
>
> ARS is the U.S. Department of Agriculture's chief scientific research
> agency.
>
> Scientific contact: William R. Okie, ARS Southeastern Fruit and Tree Nut
> Research Laboratory, Byron, Ga.; phone (912) 956-6405, fax (912) 956-2929,
> dokie@byronresearch.net.
> This item is one of the news releases and story leads that ARS Information
> distributes on weekdays to fax and e-mail subscribers. You can also get the
> latest ARS news on the World Wide Web at
> www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/thelatest.htm.
> * Feedback and questions to ARS News Service via e-mail: isnv@ars-grin.gov.
> * ARS Information Staff, 5601 Sunnyside Ave., Room 1-2251, Beltsville MD
> 20705-5128, (301) 504- 1617, fax 504-1648.

> Win a trip to Vegas for you and 20 friends, $15,000 and a suite at
> [...]
Lon, I was very interested in the Spring Satin Plum-cot after suffering
another poor plum year and I,ve never seen an apricot produced here.
Tried contacting the writer, Dr. Okie and the News Service w/o receiving
the courtesy of a reply. Went through my Congressman and was furnished
with three nurseries by Dr. Okie. Contacted them and none were budding
this tree and didn't seem all that interested.
If this cultivar will do half what they are claiming, it would be
greatly appreciated by Southern Nafexers, I,m sure. Any ideas about
where to look or search?
The NJ infor about apple trees and J. Beetles you mentioned would be
great but I can't get that site on my server. In NJ I was furnished a
booklet put out by the same people on apples which I found very
informative. Thanks for the effort. Doc Lisenby SC Zone 7/8

Visit Law.com for exclusive national and regional content,
online CLE Seminars, Practice Centers, Career Listings and
Expert Witness Directory.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6875/0/_/423498/_/963525916/

  • Re: [nafex] FW: New Plum, Apricot Cross, LONGDISTSHTR, 07/13/2000