nafex - Re: [nafex] Deer Damage

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Deer Damage
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 08:30:04 -0400

Kieran or Donna wrote:

> Don, maybe you need to start a plants rights activist group, and petition
> the county govt to do something about the problem for the sake of plants,
> reforestation, etc. There's a great book, weird title, somehting like
> "Heart and blood" about deer overpopulation. The stories esp about 2
> islands were very revealing. The native plants (there's a lot of people go
> ape about protecting native flora) were being eaten into the ground, and the
> Carolina island studied was losing it's stabilizing plant cover. The deer
> were in poor condition too. The author said in EVERY case, the same BS had
> to be gone through due to Bambi lovers. First nothing, then attempts at
> catching and moving Bambi, then Bambi birth control, then if Bambi didn't
> die out due to a harsh winter, finally the govt let someone shoot some
> Bambi's.
> I get real worked up about armchair naturalists. I like deer as much as
> anyone else (esp served up at dinnertime), but life is full of harsh
> realities that Bambi lovers dont' have to deal with in TV land Nature
> documentaries. They don't explain on TV about how populations mushroom if
> unchecked, if they did, they might get someone to applying the same math to
> the human population, (which is fast approaching the crash point about now).
> It's also hard to see a tick on TV. I do like deer, but I don't want so
> many they have to feed on my garden, and I don't want to catch Lyme disease
> from them. Donna

> Free @Backup service! Click here for your free trial of @Backup.
> @Backup is the most convenient way to securely protect and access
> your files online. Try it now and receive 300 MyPoints.
Nor do I want that weird strain of E. coli in my cider (if I ever get
enough apples). Any chance of getting it in persimmon beer? Deer seem to
like them as well as apples. I don't pasteurize it either. Doc Lisenby
Zone 8 [Donna, had any elder blossoms yet?]

Big Groups = big savings @ beMANY!
http://click.egroups.com/1/4112/0/_/423498/_/960121833/