nafex - [nafex] (unknown)

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] (unknown)
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 19:50:56 -0000

I have three plums all with P americana genes blooming in Madison WI
which had no bloom overlap as far as I could tell- Superior was the
first to bloom, Waneta second and Prunus americana last. That by the
way is the same order of their degree of hardiness (assuming that P
americana is hardier than Waneta). I had grafted the hybrids about
2 1/2 feet high on an americana frame. I left some lower americana
branches on for pollination thinking that, as Bernie related, the
wild
plum would be the best pollinator for any of its hybrids. What a
disappointment to find them all blooming at different times. I don't
think that this happened in my zone three orchard, I think their
bloom times overlap somewhat. Madison is in zone 5, I'm not sure
about this but I think that the there is a big difference in bloom
overlap between zone 3 and zone 5. (ie that the bloom times do
overlap
in zone 3 but don't in zone 5.) I think I have about 5 different
Jap/Am hybrids blooming this year in my zone 3 orchard but wasn't
there at bloom time. Can anyone tell me more about which plums will
pollinate which between Superior, Alderman, Tecumseh, Monitor, Toka,
Pipestone, and Waneta?
Thanks!
Kevin B

Old school buds here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/4057/0/_/423498/_/959284261/

  • [nafex] (unknown), edforest55, 05/25/2000