nafex - [nafex] Re: Cedar apple rust

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Cedar apple rust
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 14:33:34 -0000

> Captan is not effective. Some which are effective include
ferbam,
> manzate, mancozeb, polyram, dithene, Nova and Rubigan (the last two
possess
> burnout ability or can stop infection after it is within apple
leaves if

If spraying more than once, ideally you should use at least two
different pesticide sprays that have different "modes" during the
season (i.e. ferbam in one spray, Rubigan in another), to reduce the
fungi from becoming resistant to the pesticide (particularly true in
the case of Nova and Rubigan).

Pesticides come in groups of "modes of action" -- i.e. how
they work against a fungi. Nova and Rubigan (I think) have the same
mode of action. Captan is interesting in that it has 3 modes of
action, so a fungi is less likely to develop resistance to it than a
spray that only has one mode (like benlate had).

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@egroups.com, Ed & Pat Fackler <rocmdw@a...> wrote:

> "Correnti, Andy" wrote:
>

> > Is captan at all effective on CAR? Is CAR a fungus or a bacteria?
>
> My response---------
>
> CAR is a fungus which hosts as a dark bronze gall on cedar trees.
When temps
> approach 70+, the galls begin to swell and burst, releasing a
kizillion spores
> which can float for miles. The galls can and will contract as
temps change and
> re-release spores again and again through mid-to late May here.
>
> Captan is not effective. Some which are effective include
ferbam,
> manzate, mancozeb, polyram, dithene, Nova and Rubigan (the last two
possess
> burnout ability or can stop infection after it is within apple
leaves if
> applied within 4 days from infection, I believe.)
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ed, So. Ind.

GET WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE FREE! GET THE OFFICIAL COMPANION
TO TELEVISION'S HOTTEST GAME SHOW PHENOMENON PLUS 5 MORE BOOKS FOR
$2. Click for details.
http://click.egroups.com/1/3014/0/_/423498/_/959092435/

  • [nafex] Re: Cedar apple rust, Christopher Mauchline, 05/23/2000