msar-riders - [MSAR] Fwd: Advisory Committee submits recommendations on Animal ID

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Jyaniro@aol.com
  • To: MSAR-Riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Fwd: Advisory Committee submits recommendations on Animal ID
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 19:02:27 EDT

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance <judith@farmandranchfreedom.org>
  • To: jyaniro@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 17:17:40 -0400
Title: Advisory Committee submits recommendations on Animal ID
Having trouble viewing this email? Please click here Write a review / Forward to a Friend
To ensure delivery, please add judith@farmandranchfreedom.org to your address book. SmartUnsubscribesm

Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance

April 10, 2011

Advisory Committee Submits Recommendations to Secretary Vilsack on Animal ID Framework

Early this year, USDA released the framework for its new animal traceability program and requested feedback from the Advisory Committee on Animal Health on any "show stoppers," or major issues of concern.  Based on the framework, we talked with our members and allied organizations and developed a list of concerns.

At the Advsiory Committee's meeting on March 4, the Committee discussed the list of concerns, along with additional issues that had been raised by other stakeholders.  The majority of the Committee did not agree on most of the issues, except for two recommendations.  On April 7, the Advisory Committee formally submitted these recommendations to Secretary Vilsack:

1.   The proposed rule should incorporate concrete provisions to ensure it will not result in an unfunded mandate. The proposed rule should provide that the regulatory requirements will be suspended if, at any point, there is insufficient funding, specifically for the costs to producers for identification devices; costs to States for necessary personnel and technology; and the costs to other impacted individuals (such as veterinarians, sales facilities, and other market facilitators) for any mandated practices and technology.

2. The comment period for the proposed rule should be extended to 120 days.

You can read the Committee's full submittal at:
http://farmandranchfreedom.org/sff/SACAH_Advisory_I-final.pdf

The Committee process does not in any way limit what FARFA or its members can say about the proposed rule as an organization or individuals.  We will alert you to how you can access the proposed rule and make comments as soon as that information in available.  Please be ready to speak up during the public comment period!

The USDA’s decision to withdraw the NAIS plan shows that the grassroots can be successful.  We will need each of you to be  involved to ensure that any new regulations do not create unfair burdens for the hundreds of thousands of small farmers, ranchers, and other animal owners across the country.

Support Our Work!

We are committed to protecting independent agriculture from unnecessary and burdensome regulations, and we need your help.   Please support FARFA and donate now!

Your donation, whether it's $10, $50, $100, or $5,000, will help us maintain our ability to protect livestock producers, family-scale farmers, homesteaders, and consumers. We are very grateful for all that you do, and a donation of any amount will indeed make a difference.   Please visit our website to donate today!  You can donate online or download our membership form to mail.

Working together, we can make our voices heard!

Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance
P.O. Box 809
Cameron, Texas 76520
Phone: (254) 697-2661
www.farmandranchfreedom.org
info@farmandranchfreedom.org

Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance, P.O. Box 809, Cameron, TX 76520  254-697-2661
Forward to a Friend
SmartUnsubscribesm
This email was sent to jyaniro@aol.com by judith@farmandranchfreedom.org
Update Profile/Email Address | SmartUnsubscribesm from this list | Privacy Policy

--- End Message ---

  • [MSAR] Fwd: Advisory Committee submits recommendations on Animal ID, Jyaniro, 04/10/2011