msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 94, Issue 12

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Kevin Stokes <klstokes@qwest.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 94, Issue 12
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 21:16:13 -0600

Hi Folks,
I'm not comfortable with the terms desensitized, despooked, or dead broke. They are inaccurate and give the wrong impression. I use the term "sensory training". It is simply exposing your horse to different obstacles, items, and situations. It is more than trying to reduce a horse's fear, but learning how your horse might react. Knowing how your horse can react is part of being aware of your surroundings. That can be a big factor in safety - for you, your horse, and for your team.
Working on sensory items is just one part of working with your horse to learn each others reactions and earn each others trust. That is part of a working partnership.
Incidentally, my horse tends to do well on sensory items. Unless I get cocky - then she can find a way to embarrass me!
Kevin Stokes

  • Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 94, Issue 12, Kevin Stokes, 01/25/2011