msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Uniform Ideas/Suggestions

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Irvin Lichtenstein " <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: <diana@diacomm.com>, "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Uniform Ideas/Suggestions
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 16:36:40 -0400

Are there mounted Park Rangers and what do they wear?  If you want visibility a hunter’s safety vest usually works well.  These can be stenciled or lettered easily.

The back would be a large (12” or larger) logo and they words Park Assistance or whatever is the legal definition of your position.  If you need a break a way feature use highway vests but use orange, not slime green.  Generally these are not sized and could be shared.  Depending on the weather is what outerwear you should use.

As a state park unit a uniform appearance may be required but try to be comfortable riding in whatever you pick.  High visibility quarter sheets or saddle pads with logos may be better than requiring an on duty “look” .

In our parks the rangers and staff all wear dark green or brown.  Often dark green twill work pants (Dickie’s or similar) and a matching shirt and zip jacket.  Boat crews and bike patrols wear special protective gear like PFD’s, wet suits,  shorts, and helmets while car patrols look like state cops, which they are.   The volunteers get a baseball cap with the DCNR logo and the letters VIP embroidered on.

The other alternative is not to look like a cop/ranger at all.  In the city we have special service districts which have their own greeters, street cleaners, tour guides, etc. While blue is a good work color they have turquoise panels in their shirts and jackets so nobody mistakes them for cops or Philadelphia Parking Authority personnel.

SE PA SAR uses a gray sweatshirt with our patch sewn on.  When mounted you wear a helmet, boots, and whatever keeps you comfortable. The sweatshirt varies in cost, the patches are 2 for $4, sewing is up to you.

Irv Lichtenstein

SE PA SAR