msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] What are your top priorities for training?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] What are your top priorities for training?
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 13:21:29 -0600

ES wrote:
>>I always have a small voice recorder with me, I record everything from
>>direction to coordinates and other events on the filed .
[...]

Irvin Lichtenstein wrote:
>Check your local jurisdiction about recording audio. Recording audio
>without permission of everybody in the room, on the phone or radio circuit,
>is prohibited in PA under a 1927 wire tap law. Video without sound is OK.
>There may be federal implications as well, but usually only end has to give
>permission there.

If they are outside and on public land, does this apply? According to NM
State Police PIO (a career reporter), any form of recording is permissible
in public. Not on private property, though. Radio transmissions, both
public safety and amateur bands, routinely are recorded. And it is not
wiretapping if the recording is made by someone who is a party in the phone
call.