msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Trouble communicating by radio or cell phone?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Irvin Lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Trouble communicating by radio or cell phone?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:40:38 -0500

You do not even have to be uniform in your alphabet-- just make sure the
words you use do start with the letter you want to represent and cannot be
mistaken for another, me3aningful word. When dealing with radiation for
instance you want to G-George, not G-Gamma. There are about 1500 English
words in a pilot's vocabulary that are meaningful in all situations. Most
systems use plain speak and NIMS terminology (a tanker is an airplane that
drops retardant, water, seed, or some combination; a water tender is a truck
with a water tank on it).

As our county says, Roger doesn't live here anymore.

It is more likely that you will encounter some form of distortion or noise
pickup as more analog radios are replaced with digital systems. The
vocoders in these are not always as predictable as we like. Reference
studies by the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) and others.
Irv Lichtenstein
SE PA SAR