msar-riders - [MSAR] Compass vs GPS

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Compass vs GPS
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:17:26 -0800 (PST)

Responding to:
Message: 9
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:45:07 -0500
From: "Lila Corey" <Caballera@embarqmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MSAR] Compass or GPS?
To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>

Irv,
I am new to MSAR, let me say that first.  I didn't realize when we added something on this forum, that we needed to "open" a new thread.  I only added how the GPS helps our team
document that we have been where we actually said we had been.    How many years have you been MSAR?  (just wondering due to the rude sound of your posts on occasion).  I realize email takes the personality out of the message, and that sometimes leaves one to be misinterpreted, but for those of us that are relatively new to this, everything we read helps us.  Not all of us are as seasoned as evidently you are.  And, some of us are in areas that stuff you talk about isn't relavent to our needs.
If there are rules to post, please let us that are new to this site know so that we don't iritate you.

Lila Corey

------------------->

Lila, I for one  have been on this site for almost 10 years, not even positive exactly how long and either I may have missed a thead that said it was strickly just having boardmeetings here or to the best of my knowledge this is still is an OPEN FORUM type
site and maybe I need correction too if I am wrong.   Things change and sometimes we are not informed.  To the best of my knowledge, we do have pros and volunteers here and potential wannabees.  You stay , you know who the regulars are.

It is this webpages formatting and redundancy that can make it very difficult to follow and
things can get taken sometimes out of text.

There have been many very lengthy and very rousing conversations all which have been pertinant to MSAR and horsemen involved.  With that said to help you further...Our moderator UNA SMITH can help you and everyone with the format issues and archives so that new and old participants alike can reveiw.  I will be the first to admit that reveiwing old archives is difficult as best when it comes to the navigation of this site.  Things can be taken out of context as well.  Having that said, clarity is often difficult in the written word.  Where some of us are talkers, many of us are not writers!

With that said, getting back on track on the topic in the subject matter Compass VS GPS,  exactly what has happend in the conversation where things can go off topic and transcribe can happen in using a GPS.  All systems are not alike and in fact it would be safe to say all have built in "canaries"  By definition, a canary in the system simply put is a fault or glitch that is put into a system to prevent pirating of mapping formats from different companies or models fo  GPS.  If you have ever used one and come acrossed an instance where your GPS is telling you to turn on a road that is not there... that is possibly an example of a canary in that particular unit.  The more travel you do, the more things like this become apparent and if you do alot of cross country road  travel, you know what I am talking here

Even the GPS is by far not the most perfect system. Maps have errors and compasses will have issues with magnetics in certain areas of the country.  I guarantee you.. run 2 GPS units at the same time and you will have arguements bewteen the systems if you are on the road of travel  with it long enough.  Been there done that.  Sometimes it takes a third unit, a fourth and on down the line until EVERYONE gets heading to the same direction.

What Irv said about grant money and fire prevention,  its a fact about the job.  Its not to say anyone is being careless.  Far from it.

Now, getting back to Compass vs GPS....

The more we are aware of the grey areas, the more better responders can do their job.

In some ares of the country/world there are places with magnetic issues you would not even dream of.  And some are even tourist traps so those areas are well known, while other areas.. they are not so well known.    I beleive there is a place in Maine that has an area that they call Magnetic Hill.  It is an area where the scenery and the pull are quite the opposite of what you think and what your equipment can say.  Orientiring in areas like that can get difficult.  Picture a marble rolling up hill as this is what some of those ares are like.  Or for that matter, picture what you might thing is a stream flowing up hill and in reality it is not.  Confused?  Well so to gets the best equipment when in reality it is!

Some areas of the country will render your cell phones useless and others it a compass of any dollar value that will be totally screwed.

This is why we ask questions, compare notes and equipment areas of travel etc!  We all have information and seek info in certain areas to learn and find the right equipment for ourselves and/our units..

As the one fella said, he does not use crap and he does not eat crap.  I can see where that statement is so profound.  But while he may not eat it or use it, there may come an area that it will be crap. And I can picture a marine pounding his fist in frustration. And while we all sit here wanting the best packing gear possible.. we all need to learn to figure that out.  I dont like crap either and finding good can be difficult at best and I hate replacing things in a short time of use as well.  That to me is crap.  4-5 cell phones in less than a 2 year contract is absurd.

As for read the question!  Perhaps some may have to go back to my previous post with my questions.  I still dont see the answers to part of those!  And I  do know some answers
are in the archives, but there are some days redunancy even in the asking of same questions proposes an upgrade! Makes the archives useless to me.

With that though Lila, hang in there!
        Karen
Some trust in chariots, and others in horses: but we will always remember the name of the Lord our God.  Psalms 20:7..and the bay went forth,  and sought to go to and fro that they might walk to and fro through the earth: and he said, Get you hence, walk to and fro through the earth.  So they walked to and fro through the earth. Zec 6:7

  • [MSAR] Compass vs GPS, Karen Nesbitt, 01/24/2010