msar-riders - [MSAR] Recovery Search in Roanoke Virginia

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Finkle" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Recovery Search in Roanoke Virginia
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 23:36:32 -0500

FYI:

The TROTSAR Mounted Team has had several MSAR teams deployed on horseback during three of the past four days on the Lewis Recovery Search Mission.  Our MSAR team were been deployed via the Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM) at the request of Roanoke Police Department.  TROTSAR mounted teams have searched city neighborhoods, warehouse districts as well as nearby wilderness areas that border the area. Below is a current news report regarding the search efforts.

By Chris Whitley / Digital Journalist

WSLS News 10

“People from all over the Commonwealth, and some from as far away as Pennsylvania, are now helping in the search for the body of Aveion Lewis.  Friday, we told you a search warrant showed police are now investigating the death of the 2 year-old as a murder.  The search for his body continued Friday along the banks of the Roanoke River. As we’ve reported, Aveion’s step-father, Brandon Lockett, is charged with felony child neglect and improper disposal of a body.

Saturday, the search for Aveion’s body reached day four.  More than 80 people spread out to look for the boy. “We have everything from search dogs, to mounted patrols.  We may even use aviation assets.  We also have swift water rescue teams out as well”, said Sgt. Chris Bolling. The search teams are working a 1.5 mile area around the home where Aveion was last seen alive.  That search could be interrupted by bad weather moving in to the area. “Supposed to have torrential rains tonight and tomorrow.  The search will be suspended after this evening.  Then it will be re-evaluated as to what and how we will continue it”, said Bolling.  Anyone with information about Aveion Lewis is asked to call Roanoke Police at 853-2212.”

  • [MSAR] Recovery Search in Roanoke Virginia, T'mi Finkle, 01/23/2010