msar-riders - [MSAR] ATVS....

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] ATVS....
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:25:46 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for bringing that up..You can include RTVS and golf carts in this catagory too of being a destructive useless vehicle.  While a golf cart is not as noisy, they certainly are destructive.

Perhaps someone here form LE can best explain the normal legalities of these vehicles state by state so that EVERONE can be informed.  Perhaps someone can qoute the DOT regulations state by state of these vehicles and explain WHY they are not legal and where they would be not legal if used normally.  That sure would help gettting a GOOD explaination and one that was from an authuratative source.  And after all, if poeple do not know the legalities of them used at home, then what business do themn have on any search?

Perhaps too, include the safety gear and requirements for people of different ages and each of the ORV vehicles etc. includuding such laws governing passengers, seatbelts, lights, license, and or title.

And while we are on the subject, lets talk use of SMV's for these vehicles....

Between the RTVs and the ATVS and the golfcarts using SMVs.. since when is any of them a farm implement warranting an SMV tag, or since when are they street legal especially on a highway??  As for an emergency search vehicle....isnt  the vehicle supposed to be appropriately marked by the LE or FD it comes from?  No private vehicle would then be appropriate would it?  And if it is appropriate, under what instance and why.

And perhaps someone can also explain why an SMV would not be appropriate to any of these vehicles?  None of them are FARM implements and none of them would be appropriate to have an SMV according to the regulations about SMV's but then I have seen people use an SMV to mark  driveways and mailboxes and put them on gates and well, guess it dont matter to them that it is illegal.  I have seen people use them on horsetrailers too and pardon me, but that too is not a legal use of them.  Just thoughts here and from what I know, could be a costly fine if LE did its job.

Like Irv mentions... every footprint is important and so then likewise if the use of any of these vehicles were to be used on a search, then the laws that apply to each is equally important and those of us using them should be in the know especially if one is brought with the horses to  any search.

Thanks

 Karen

Messssage: 2