msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Deployment readiness = quicker response time

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Deployment readiness = quicker response time
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 09:58:21 -0600

Laurie Hanahan wrote:
>We can be rolling in less than an hour.

That is good for MSAR but not for SAR resources in general. Teams
called for initial hasty searches sometimes can get rolling that fast.

Something we have done occasionally is put teams on standby. Say the
weather is dangerous; teams may be called to go on standby for a
possible callout. A few times I have loaded the trailer, including
the horse, and started driving in anticipation of being called to
respond.

The downside to using standby orders is that it can use up a lot of
responders' time and in many cases the mission will end before those
responders can be used.