msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] what to wear?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@verizon.net
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] what to wear?
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 23:10:06 -0500 (CDT)

Unfortunately we have searched in temps like that as well- search early, search late, rest in the middle. Because we can be called to the Mojave Desert to search we train there as well. Our gear has to include cold weather and broiling hot weather gear too. For those of you unfamiliar with my area San Bernardino county is the largest county in the US- bigger than many states. We range from the desert with it's weather extremes to almost 12,000 foot peaks. It includes wooded wilderness, rocky wilderness, and desert wilderness. Most of the county is localized urban areas surrounded by miles of open space but just so we keep in practice with all eventualities the southern part stretching across the width is all seriously urban! We can be called anywhere in the county. It presents some special challenges to be prepared for all of it! :-)  I keep several ready packs- one for lowlands and one for highlands!

Chris