msar-riders - [MSAR] tracking fugitives

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Laury Hembree <lahem60@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] tracking fugitives
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 18:34:05 -0800 (PST)

Hello All!

I know that tracking fugitives is not really on our job descriptions as MSAR's. But today, at the farm where I am temporarily boarding a horse, a manhunt was going on nearby! After I got my horse out of the pasture to feed and play with him a bit, the police helicopters, numerous police cars, and sniffer dogs came out to look for the fugitive on the farm property trails! He has been wanted in three states for armed robbery, kidnapping, and other things. I came really close to going riding out on the trails where they ended up finding him. But something told me not to ride the trails today. My MSAR partner wasn't with me today anyway (Marilyn), otherwise we would have been tempted to go out and find him. He was armed, though, so we were not properly trained in law enforcement to go and catch him anyway.
Anyway, they tracked the fugitive and finally got him! Here is the story --