msar-riders - [MSAR] (KY USA) Buffalo Trace Mounted Patrol SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: MSAR <msar@ibiblio.org>
  • To: MSAR Riders <MSAR-Riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] (KY USA) Buffalo Trace Mounted Patrol SAR
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 23:24:45 -0400

Robert Milward <volunteermountedpatrol@yahoo.com> sent this FYI for us all.

According to the Kentucky Horse Council, we are the only Mounted Search and
Rescue in Kentucky. Also, I believe we are the only Volunteer Mounted Patrol
in Kentucky.

We work out of the Area 8 Kentucky Emergency Management Headquarters. We
are considered a 911 resource and do not self deploy.

We have been in operation since March, 2008. I held an organizational
meeting and have signed up 21 riders and 5 non riders. We are building a
permanent obstacle training course on 3 acres of my farm in Maysville, Ky.

We have 6 members from 3 counties that have graduated from the Kentucky 3
day ground SAR classes. I am scheduled for the man tracking classes to be
held in November 2008.

We have deployed locally for 2 events as Safety Observers along the Ohio
River during a triathlon race and provided perimeter pedestrian and
vehicle traffic control for a local balloon festival attended by 25,000
people. We train locally on a monthly basis.

Attached is a photo during a training with a life flight helicopter. I felt
it would be a valuable experience. If a helicopter was use for a victim
extraction, the training would allow for the helicopter to proceed without
waiting for the horses to clear the area. All the riders shown have been
exposed to the helicopter as it landed and also as it made ground level
passes across the training field.

Thank you

Robert Milward
7155 Strodes Run Road
Maysville, Ky. 41056
606-742-9559

Buffalo Trace Mounted Patrol
State Certified Search and Rescue ......911 resource.
www.BuffaloTraceMountedPatrol.com

  • [MSAR] (KY USA) Buffalo Trace Mounted Patrol SAR, MSAR, 10/27/2008