msar-riders - [MSAR] Horse insurance

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Lois Guyon" <laguyon@verizon.net>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Horse insurance
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 17:43:25 -0500

We have a new MSAR unit forming in the Chicago, IL area.  They contacted me to see what we do about horse insurance.  Their people will be covered by the governmental unit they are attached to, but they wonder if there is an issue about horse insurance.  I do not remember that we have ever talked about horse insurance.  People yes, but not horses.

Our unit has never addressed the horse insurance issue.  Have any of you?  I have always presumed that if my horse were killed or injured in the line of duty, I would have to consider it a “donation” to the cause.  My MSAR horse that cost $900 when horse prices were high has had colic surgery to the tune of over $7,000.  However,  I do not think of this horse as an economic asset.  Yet, to replace my MSAR horse with one trained to the same extent would probably be close to $12,000.  At least that is what one trainer in KY was asking for 4 year old, fully trained police horses.

Lois Guyon